Cute mini gingerbread, decorated with icing and tiny silver balls – the perfect gift when visiting friends.
1. In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, ginger and mixed spice.
2. Put the butter, muscovado sugar, milk and golden syrup in a pan. Set over low heat and stir gently until it has completely melted and is smooth. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
3. Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture. Mix well to make a dough. Leave until cool enough to handle, then gently knead to make a neat ball.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°fan/Gas 4.
5. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and stamp out 18 hearts and/or stars, measuring about 5cm (2in). Re-roll the trimmings as necessary. Transfer to baking sheets lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 10-12 minutes.
7 Leave the biscuits to firm, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
8. Make the icing according to the packet’s instructions. Spoon into a piping bag and pipe squiggles, dots and stripes onto the biscuits. Decorate with edible silver balls. Leave to set.
These needn’t be just for Christmas; cut out small gingerbread men and ladies, letters of the alphabet or numbers with biscuit cutters and leave plain or pipe on icing and sprinkle with small sweets.
Recipe taken from Dairy Diary Favourites cookbook.