Griddled Lamb with Fresh Pesto
Fat 57g (17g sat)
Celeriac 350g (12oz), peeled and diced
Lemon juice 3 tsp
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil 4 tbsp
Red onion 1 small, peeled and sliced
Fennel 1 small head, cored & thinly sliced
Courgette 1 small, trimmed & thinly sliced
Baby plum or cherry tomatoes 4, halved
Chopped basil 4 tbsp
Chopped mint 4 tbsp
Garlic 1 clove, peeled and crushed
Pine nuts 1 tbsp, toasted
Lamb steaks or chops 2, or 4 if small
Butter 15g (½oz)
1. Put the celeriac and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a pan, cover with water and bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20–25 minutes until soft.
2. Meanwhile, make the ratatouille. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the fennel and courgette and cook for about 15 minutes until just tender, stirring occasionally. Take the pan off the heat, add the tomato halves and season well.
3. To make the pesto, mix the herbs in a bowl with the garlic, pine nuts, remaining lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of the oil. Season to taste.
4. To cook the lamb, heat a griddle or frying pan over a high heat. Brush the meat with the remaining oil and cook for 2 minutes on both sides, then reduce the heat to low and cook for a further 3–4 minutes on each side.
5. Mash celeriac with butter and nutmeg and serve with lamb, pesto and ratatouille.
Recipe taken from Just For One Or Two cookbook.