A delicious recipe that has a crisp pastry base, succulent mincemeat and a fluffy sponge topping.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°fan/Gas 4. Line the base and sides of a 26 x 38 x 2.5cm (10 x 15 x 1in) baking tray with non-sticking baking paper, leaving the paper about 5cm (2in) above the top of the tin.
2. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle a little larger than the baking tray, then lift into the tray and push the pastry into the sides, corners and edges. Bake for 8–10 minutes until a very light golden colour.
3. Spoon the mincemeat onto the pastry while it’s still warm and spread thinly until it just covers the pastry.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs a little at a time, adding a tablespoon of flour to prevent the mixture from curdling. Fold in the almonds, flour and almond extract. Spoon over the mincemeat and spread evenly.
5. Bake for 30–40 minutes until golden and firm to the touch. Leave to cool. Remove from the tray and peel away the paper, then cut into 24 squares. Dust lightly with icing sugar just before serving.
You could use a layer of fruity jam instead of the mincemeat if you prefer.
Recipe taken from Dairy Diary Favourites cookbook.